Thursday, January 6, 2011

Breakfast of Champions..

Over the years, I have tried breakfast many different ways. At heart, I am a plain Cheerios and milk kind of girl. Don't get me wrong though, I cannot pass up eggs, bacon, or sausage gravy and biscuits. However,  for the sake of healthy living, I have come across something very simple that is refreshing, filling and packed with nutrients. The Smoothie! Frozen fruit is much easier on the wallet this time of the year, and adds great texture.So, here's how it comes together:
About 6 frozen Strawberries
1 medium banana
1 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
About a 1 to 1 1/2 cups crushed ice

Put all ingredients in the blender, and viola! Of course, use any fruit you like..Strawberry and bananas are my favorite, but I had bananas and blueberries earlier in the week, and I have frozen mixed berries waiting in the fridge. Use your imagination!

3 comments:

  1. have you thought of adding peanut butter (if you like PB) to add protein?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure how the points system works but like I told you I add a cup of spinach to every smoothie. I follow a high protein diet to keep my fibromyalgia under control so I add whey protein to my smoothies and things I bake. I get the vanilla cuz other flavors are kinda gross to me. But whey protein in my research seems to be the best for building muscle and it's lower in fat than peanut butter is. Though I love me some peanut butter :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, those are both great ideas! Spinach is zero points, so that would be a great way to put something extra in. PB is kinda pointy, but I think I am gonna wait till I have some extra points and make a PB/banana smoothie! :D

    ReplyDelete